Sunday, May 31, 2020

A Windfall of Warblers

Every spring tiny birds called warblers migrate north from their wintering grounds in the south.  Many are just passing through as they proceed even further north.  

I started thinking of them as a "windfall" because they are treasures that appear suddenly and often in large numbers due to strong winds bringing them down from the skies.  It was with that in mind that I wrote the following poem last year:


A WINDFALL OF WARBLERS

May’s warmth rolls back the blanket of white
and lays a carpet of green.

Warblers, blown north, spill jewel-like into the woods
quick to take flight for even more northern skies.

A windfall of warblers - a treasure - spent in a flash.

(from the book Discoveries In The Dark by Doris Potter)

© Doris Potter


With the difficulties of moving around freely to bird-watch this spring, I was doubtful whether I would see many (or even any) in my neighbourhood.  I was therefore ecstatic to catch sight of nine species and to photograph eight of them.  


Nashville Warbler


Chestnut-sided Warbler


Yellow Warbler


Black-throated Blue Warbler


Cape May Warbler


Tennessee Warbler


Magnolia Warbler


Black-throated Green Warbler

And lastly, below, is the type that I wasn't quick enough to photograph so I am inserting a photo I took last year of the same species.


Yellow-rumped Warbler





7 comments:

  1. Such pretty birds, i do not blame you for wanting to watch out for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks messymimi. I do love them so. :-)

      Delete
  2. Two posts, and one with a poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post, pictures and poem. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such beautiful little creatures! Wonderful photos and I love your poem!

    ReplyDelete