Sunday, May 31, 2020

Iridescent Clouds

On May 17th I observed iridescent clouds as I was out looking for wildlife to photograph.  It was towards the end of the day and it added some excitement to my outing.  I have seen this phenomenon before but only in the winter.  

You can check here for a brief explanation of how this effect is produced:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_iridescence

The photographs were darkened using exposure settings and minimally saturated to bring out the colours.













8 comments:

  1. Beautiful! That i can think of, i've not seen that before, at least not with that much vivid color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment, messymimi, prompted me to edit my text to more accurately acknowledge the settings I used. The darkening of the exposures made the colours more vivid.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you Anvilcloud. I often forget to look up but was grateful that I did this time!

      Delete
  3. Fascinating, I don't think that I've ever seen such clouds. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly are fascinating as you say Flighty.

      Delete
  4. How fortunate you looked up at the right time and that you were able to get such beautiful shots.

    ReplyDelete