Monday, May 4, 2020

The Kneeling Woman and other strange things




In the rather run-down area behind the college where I have seen the Broad-winged Hawks (see a previous post) there are some strange goings-on.  It is an overgrown place with dumpsters, untended garden plots and an apiary.  There is also a couple of "figures".  One is of a kneeling woman crafted out of chicken wire and what looks like fabric and plaster (and possibly human hair stuffing), and the other is a tall, black, long-eared  figure leaning casually on a tree with a shopping cart nearby. 



It was the kneeling woman who first caught my attention.  The area is adjacent to a grave yard with various statuary so at first I thought "she" was a statue.  Then on closer examination I saw how she was fashioned and it intrigued me.  I wondered who had made her and why.

I was going almost every day and although I never saw anyone, I would notice changes in the area.  One day I thought she was gone and then I saw her in a rocking chair.  Someone had brought the chair and put her in it.



On another day the chair had been turned around giving her a new view of the area.  That was a breezy day and as I viewed her from a distance, the wind lifted a scrap of the fabric on her side and it looked like she was lifting her arm (as though she were adjusting a shawl or reaching for something).  I have to say it startled me!



Then, a day or so later, the chair was empty and she lay smashed on the ground.  It felt like finding the body of a murder victim.  


All the other strange things (as shown below) took on a sinister aspect.



Ceramic fertility figure?


Scarecrow?



These two small structures were found hanging from branches nearby.







A fallen tree has silken threads wound around several of its branches.

All of it is rather strange.  I still go there but certainly only in broad daylight. 

10 comments:

  1. Approach with caution. 😱🥶

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like someone is trying to use this area as a creative space, and someone else is coming along and spoiling the fun. Why there is always someone who enjoys destruction is beyond me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree messymimi. My nephew (who went to this college) said he thought these might be part of an art project. It is a shame that vandals may be bent on destroying things.

      Delete
  3. Interesting post and pictures. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Flighty. I appreciate you saying that. :-)

      Delete
  4. Doris, does this area have any Indian background? A one time reservation or possibly the home of a missing Indian woman? I've seen structures like this in other areas. They seem to demonstrate some sort of grieving process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not to my knowledge Mary. I would like to find out more about their meaning.

      Delete
  5. How horrible if someone is destroying another's work! Hopefully someone is instead following the Buddhist Monk's tradition of creating and then destroying their own artwork.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of that Didee. I'd like to think it is that.

      Delete