Tuesday, June 2, 2020

To See A Mockingbird (And Cousins)

During recent decades, the Mockingbird has gradually expanded its range northward.  I have rarely seen one though and so the other morning when I approached my neighbourhood birding site, I was astonished to see one in full view.  It perched on a tree stump and then flew to a mowed field where it ran back and forth like a roadrunner.  Then it flew into a berry bearing bush and I managed a shot.

The next day I heard singing in a tree adjacent to that field and it was clearly a mimicking song.  I was sure the Mockingbird was the source so it was to my surprise that I found out it was a Brown Thrasher that was singing!  This is a "cousin" to the Mockingbird and although I have seen a few, I have never heard one sing.

That same day, as I progressed down my usual path towards a small grove of trees, I heard another mimicking song.  Ok, so was this the Mockingbird or the Thrasher?  Neither!  It was another "cousin" - the Catbird. They all belong to the family "Mimidae".

Here are the three cousins:



Northern Mockingbird


Brown Thrasher

Below is a 40 second video of this Thrasher singing:




Gray Catbird

Below is a 40 second video of the Catbird singing (he is well hidden in the bushes but you'll see a glimpse of movement towards the end):




8 comments:

  1. You are having a good spring despite all else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Anvilcloud. I was lamenting my inability to go to my usual places and, lo and behold, my neighbourhood is a treasure trove!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful! We do have mockingbirds, and brown thrashers. Catbirds are very rarely sighted. It can be difficult to tell who is singing which song around here because we have plenty of mimics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you have these birds too messymimi. Aren't mimics fun?!

      Delete
  3. Lovely post and pictures. Lucky you seeing all three in quick succession. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Flighty. I have had extraordinary luck lately!

      Delete
  4. I want to come live with you!! You are finding the most wonderful wildlife living closeby. You must be thrilled Doris. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment made me smile Didee! I am indeed thrilled and you are welcome to come share this area. :-)

      Delete