Friday, May 15, 2020

Mount Royal Cemetery photography exhibits

Usually by this time of the year I have chosen which photographs I plan to display in the annual Mount Royal Cemetery photography exhibit held in May.

Sadly, after the retirement of the man who was the driving force behind this event, last year's exhibition was the very last.

I so appreciate the hard work and vision of that individual who created the exhibit in the first place as well as the friendly camaraderie of the fellow photographers and the supportive attendance of friends and family.

Below are my winning photographs from several years of entering:



TITLE:  Fox With Kits

Third prize (as selected by a jury) in 2008 - theme: The Spirit of the Mountain


TITLE:  Light and Texture

Artists' choice in 2010 - theme: Texture


TITLE:  Profusion of Purple

Second prize (as selected by a jury) in 2012 - theme:  Colour in all its Form


TITLE:  Camera Shy

Artists' choice in 2014 - theme:  Nature


TITLE:  Be Still My Heart

Third prize (as selected by a jury) in 2016 - theme:  Serenity


TITLE:  Patterns

Third prize (as selected by a jury) in 2017 - theme:  The Seasons of the Mountain
(Note:  if anyone thinks they can identify the subject of this photograph, please leave a comment) :-)


TITLE:  Raccoon Among the Flurries

Host first prize in 2019 - theme: Impression


The article below appeared in "The Montrealer" in early 2017


Below:

Photo of me with exhibition sign displaying my photograph of a Cooper's Hawk bathing in the cemetery's stream (2010)




I will always have happy memories of these events set in one of the most beautiful cemeteries in the world.  It's very sad to realize that these good times are over.










12 comments:

  1. What a fab run of success you had. Being who I am, my top faves are not the critters but Profusion of Purple and Be Still My Heart (clever title). BTW I like the critters too :) .

    I have family buried somewhere on that mountain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anvilcloud! I too have family buried in this cemetery (actually not far from where I photographed the foxes). :-)

      Delete
  2. Lovely post and pictures. My favourites are Fox With Kits and Camera Shy. It's a shame that the event is no longer held. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Flighty. :-) (Those are my favourites too).

      Delete
  3. Wow! Are you sure there isn't enough interest to bring it back next year?

    Anyway, the one you asked us to identify looks like several caterpillars right next to each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I think there is a lot of interest for this exhibit and for an even more popular painting exhibition but the administration is being firm in their decision.
      Yes - you are right about the caterpillars! Very few people at the exhibition solved it. Congratulations. :-)

      Delete
  4. Doris, your skill in capturing nature is a reflection of your soul. I'm saddened that this annual event has been cancelled as I looked forward to it each spring. Who knows, maybe someone else will pick-up the idea, and the event, as with nature, will be reborn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for such a nice comment Glacierbear. Your first sentence really touched me ...

      Delete
  5. It is a joy to view your wonderful winning photographs Doris and I am so sorry the event has been permanently cancelled.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have fond memories of visiting your booth at the Mount Royal Photography Exhibit. Your amazing photos and thought-provoking poetry represent the essence of who you are and the values that you cherish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so nice to know that you have attended my booth. I appreciate your comment on my poetry as well. Thank you.

      Delete