Monday, April 13, 2020

Wildlife and sights in the neighbourhood



One sees these signs in many windows in Quebec regarding COVID-19 (the novel coronavirus disease which began in 2019) and roughly translated it means "We will be fine".  I understand that in Ontario, people put teddy bears in their windows which pleases passing children. :-)

Because of the restrictions put in place to stay at home and only go out for solo walks or to get groceries and other essential supplies, I have been limiting my photographic excursions to a small area in my neighbourhood within the Montreal borough of Saint-Laurent.  Luckily for me, this area encompasses two college campuses.  I have explored these places before but never to any great extent.  The wildlife I have encountered these last few weeks has been amazing!  The most exceptional creature being a Wild Turkey!

Here is a sample of the wildlife I have been able to photograph (with varying degrees of success):


Wild Turkey


Hairy Woodpecker


Groundhog


Robin


Ring-billed Gull


Canada Geese


Turkey Vulture


Crow


Eastern Phoebe


Gray Squirrel


American Goldfinch (in changing plumage)


Downy Woodpecker


Eastern Cottontail


Song Sparrow


Cooper's Hawk


Others that I saw but didn't get an acceptable photograph: Killdeer and Cardinal.  


And last but not least, here is a photograph of the recent super Moon.  I guess I can't claim that it is in my neighbourhood (as the title implies) but it sure was a lovely sight from my window!



Keep well everyone!

9 comments:

  1. Lucky you, lovely pictures. I especially like the song sparrow.
    Thanks, and you too. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Flighty. I'm glad you liked the song sparrow. I hope you have them where you are as they have a lovely song.

      Delete
  2. I know from the little bird/waterfowl shooting that I have done that it is not easy since you have to take what you can get. So you did a good job.

    I do have a few waterfowl pics on my Flickr site if you want to start here and work your way forward. https://flic.kr/p/2iJt8zm

    Maybe I will go put up another now. Just for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anvilcloud. Your pix are beautiful and thanks too for the funny video. You and Sue did a great job.

      Delete
  3. I came back because I thought you might get a laugh out of Sue and me doing the silly walk last week, a la Monty Python. https://youtu.be/59MMUGE3ARE

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such beauty close to home! Prayind all stays well with you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much messymimi. So far I am fine and I hope you and yours are too.

      Delete
  5. Once again you've outdone yourself, Doris! I am so happy that you've found such diverse wildlife to photograph. I'm staying tuned for your next discoveries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Didee! I will be posting more wildlife subjects soon! :-)

      Delete