Tuesday, April 21, 2020

More neighbourhood wildlife!


Immature Broad-winged Hawk

It has been very exciting to find even more great wildlife while touring my neighbourhood.  The Broad-winged Hawk pictured above is a perfect example. Actually two such hawks were seen together which makes me wonder if they will be nesting.  I have already found a Cooper's Hawk nest and will devote future blog posts to both these species.


Male and female Mallards


White-breasted Nuthatch

A pair of these nuthatches has been scouting out a few tree cavities and trying them on for size.  I will continue to keep an eye out for an active nest.


Golden-crowned Kinglet


American Tree Sparrow


Dark-eyed Junco


European Starling



American Kestrel

I was thrilled to see a Kestrel.  This beautiful little falcon is on the decline and this is the first one I have seen in several years.








7 comments:

  1. You have quite the eye. Maybe I should call you Hawkeye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! May they all have successful nests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks messymimi. I hope they will too (and that I get to photograph the babies). :-)

      Delete
  3. Lovely pictures. Starlings have wonderful, and colourful, markings. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Flighty. I totally agree about Starlings!

      Delete
  4. How wonderful that you'll finding wildlife close to home. Great photos as usual. :-)

    ReplyDelete