Sunday, April 19, 2020

More astronomical sights

After having managed to photograph Venus and The Pleiades recently, I thought I would post a few more night sky images.

(Please note that you can enlarge a photograph by clicking on it).

In late March the planet Venus could be seen above the beautiful crescent Moon as shown below.


Another exciting event was the conjunction of Mars, Saturn, and Jupiter.  These planets aligned in mid-April and I took the following photograph on April 16 around 4:50 a.m.  I do not usually get up so early but I figured this was worth it!


And finally, this was the biggest surprise for me! When I directly focused on Jupiter, I was astonished to find that its largest moons were visible and clearly identifiable as distinct bodies around the planet.



6 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Isn't it a comfort to know we can look up at the sky and see what we have always seen, very reassuring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We think alike messymimi. I do feel comfort by objects in the sky and today I found some early spring flowers in bloom. It makes us feel that there are still things that are normal in these bizarre times.

      Delete
  2. This lazy photog commends you once again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anvilcloud. Believe me, it was a big effort to get up early enough to get these shots.

      Delete
  3. Interesting post and pictures, especially the last one. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Flighty. I'm glad you liked that last one. It is my favorite of the three also!

      Delete