Tuesday, June 1, 2021

More Photographs Of Cooper's Hawks

The Cooper's Hawks seem to be keeping a low profile these days.  Until a couple of weeks ago, I would see and/or hear one calling while the other was almost always on the nest.  Perhaps the serious business of incubating and hatching eggs has both their attention now.

I'm not sure whether I'll be able to get any good shots of the nest since it is quite obscured by foliage now so, unlike last year, I may only get shots of the young once they are fledged and flying about.

In the meantime, I thought I would post several photos taken earlier this year while the pair was nest building.  Also, I believe one of the young from last year decided to come back to the area.  I thought I was photographing an adult and then realized it was an immature.  The adult male drove it away, so I guess that's tough love in action!

Here is the immature hawk:





And below are shots of an adult in flight (with a twig for the nest in the last one):





To be continued ...


8 comments: