Saturday, October 24, 2020

Butterflies in the Neighbourhood

Just as I have done with moths and dragonflies, I now want to record the various species of butterflies that I have found in the neighbourhood.  Again, I am amazed at the number of different types that inhabit this small area.  


Black Swallowtail, Papilio polyxenes



Possible Northern Crescent, Phyciodes cocyta



Acadian Hairstreak, Satyrium acadica


Clouded Sulphur, Colias philodice



Cabbage White, Pieris rapae



Common Ringlet, Coenonympha tullia



Banded Hairstreak, Satyrium calanus



Eyed Brown, Lethe eurydice



Monarch, Danaus plexippus



Long Dash, Polites mystic



Silver-spotted Skipper, Epargyreus clarus



Peck’s Skipper, Polites peckius



Northern Cloudywing, Thorybes pylades


Eastern Tailed-Blue, Cupido comyntas



Silvery Blue, Glaucopsyche lygdamus

The following photograph will act as a bridge between this post and the next.  It introduces the Common Blue butterfly (Polyommatus icaruswhich is an abundant little butterfly with an interesting history here in Quebec.


Silvery Blue above and Common Blue below


























  


6 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever seen 90% of the butterflies you've listed and you've seen them all in a relatively small area! Good eye Doris and lots of patience I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Didee. Patience is certainly the key (and spending hours searching for them)!

      Delete
  2. Lovely post and pictures. That's certainly a wonderful selection of butterflies, and more than I see here on the allotments. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just thinking this morning that you could do with a template that allows you to post bigger pics. And here you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I didn't realize that they are bigger than before. In the old blog version I would choose "large" and same with this newer version. Anyway, I'm glad it looks better!

      Delete