Saturday, October 24, 2020

The Common Blue Butterfly

The Common Blue butterfly (polyommatus icarus) was introduced to eastern Canada just over fifteen years ago.  It was first identified in Mirabel, Quebec. I saw my first one seven years ago in St-Laurent and it was quite a puzzle to me because I could not find it in any of my field guides.  Finally, thanks to the Internet, I was able to identify it as the European Common Blue.

I am very fond of this little butterfly.  It is amazingly strong and resilient and I even saw several today (October 24)! It is also one of the most "amorous" species I have ever found.  They literally mate all season long. :-)

The males are a beautiful shade of blue, and under the right lighting conditions, seem to glow like a jewel.  The females exhibit their own beauty - shades of brown dusted in blue with orange crescent marks.  Both sexes have colorful undersides of their wings.  Even their striped legs and antennae are striking!

Here is a selection of "blues" from the neighbourhood:







Vive l'amour!







And finally, "ménage à trois"?




 
















 




6 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos Doris! How interesting that the undersides have such an elaborate pattern while the tops have a more solid colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Didee. I found the same thing. I usually prefer to photograph the upper sides but these butterflies are beautiful all over! :-)

      Delete
  2. Interesting post and lovely pictures. I see these occasionally, and usually get confused when I don't see the blue topsides. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind comment Flighty. I'm glad you see them too. They certainly are spectacular for such tiny beings. :-)

      Delete
  3. Where are they from if they thrive in this climate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I can gather, they are from the UK. Pretty tough little guys!

      Delete