Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Moths in the Neighbourhood

As I continue to explore my neighbourhood during this pandemic, I am seeing many insect species.  So many, in fact, that I will do separate posts for moths, butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies, and miscellaneous others.  

You will notice that I may identify an insect with the modifier "possible".  This indicates a case where I have submitted the photo to iNaturalist for identification but have not had a confirmation yet.  I'll update the post as information comes in.

Here are the moths I have seen:


Possible Clover Looper Moth (Caenurgina crassiuscula)


American Dagger Moth (acronicta americana)


Eight-spotted Forester Moth (alypia octomaculata)


Virginia Tiger Moth (Spilosoma virginica)


Grass Veneer Moth (Genus: crambus)


Possible Soft-lined Wave Moth (scopula inductata)


Lesser Maple Spanworm Moth
(macaria pustularia)


Grape Plume Moth (geina periscelidactylus)










8 comments:

  1. Would it be wrong to opine that you are a MOTHer of a naturalist and photographer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful pictures. Many moths are just as colourful as butterflies, and there are far more of then. Some have great names too. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Flighty. I agree about moths. I, too, love their names! Like the Underwings' names like Sweetheart or Darling or Wonderful or Charming ...

      Delete
  3. Moths are fascinating, and even the less flashy ones have their own beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't get over how much one species differs from another. Fascinating to look at Doris.

    ReplyDelete