Friday, July 31, 2020

Comet NEOWISE and a Morning Surprise

After two unsuccessful attempts of finding comet NEOWISE, I finally got some photos of it on July 21st.  I delayed posting them in case I got better images in the last 10 days but, alas, I haven't been able to find it again!  

I feel extremely lucky to have found it (I say "found" and not "seen" because I could not see it with the naked eye) since I would have had to wait 6800 years for it to return ...

Here are the images I obtained when standing alone late at night in a nearby parking lot.  (I have labelled the first one to enable the viewer to spot the comet).

Note:  Please enlarge each image by clicking on it.
















And then the next morning I was surprised by another exciting sky phenomenon:  a fire rainbow!  


In June of 2018 I did a blog post of a fire rainbow that you may wish to view again for the information on their formation: please click here.













8 comments:

  1. Lucky you to have "seen" the comet! I'll have to wait 6800 years for my turn. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful that you got to see it, and photograph it. Next i need to read up on a fire rainbow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks messymimi. I was exceedingly lucky!

      Delete
  3. You got something. I didn't. The one night that I tried, I was driven away by mosquitoes.

    ReplyDelete