Friday, January 29, 2021

Snowflakes and Frost

With little to photograph while I stay within my neighbourhood limits, I have turned to closely examining ice and snow.  This post will show some snowflakes and frost and a future post will show ice patterns.

The best place to find snowflakes with a dark background (for contrast) is on pavement.  I find that usually the flakes melt quickly but if there is "black" ice, the temperature is lower than the asphalt and that helps to keep the flakes intact long enough for a photograph.  Sadly, many of the flakes break apart either on the way down or when they hit the ground.  I managed to see a couple of these flakes shown below as they fell and landed near me.  I find that more interesting than just coming upon them already on the ground.  Some how I feel a connection to these tiny snowflakes.







These are pictures of frost that appeared one morning on my living room window.
















10 comments:

  1. Super idea. I have thought of doing something similar but then I'd have to remember when it was actually snowing and that would be a feat for me. But maybe this will jog my memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's certainly worth the effort Anvilcloud.

      Delete
  2. Lovely pictures. I rarely see snowflakes as the snow is usually sleety and slushy not frosty. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Flighty. I remember your recent post with the snow. I imagine it is usually a cause of damage on the plots rather than a pretty scene.

      Delete
    2. Thankfully there usually isn't enough to cause any damage. xx

      Delete
    3. I'm glad to hear that Flighty. :-)

      Delete
  3. Knowing that no two typical snow crystals are alike it is amazing to see how alike and how different each photographed one is. Your photographs are wonderful Doris!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Didee! I was thinking about the similarities. It seems that various weather conditions shape the crystals so I think a few of these are similar because they fell at the same time.

      Delete
  4. It's all so pretty! We have only seen such snowflakes here on rare occasion, they always fascinate me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they certainly are fascinating and pretty as you say, messymimi.

      Delete