Thursday, August 8, 2019

Cute Little Moths


This summer has been wonderful for sightings of a type of moth that I find very cute and appealing.

There are several species that flit from flower to flower during the day and I have been lucky enough to find four of them. 

These are fast moving, small insects who usually mimic either hummingbirds, bees, or wasps.  It has been quite a challenge to catch them in flight or as they hover and sip nectar.



Nessus Sphinx Moth


Squash Vine Borer Moth


Hummingbird Clearwing Moth


Snowberry Clearwing Moth


Snowberry Clearwing attacking Hummingbird Clearwing

I noticed that Snowberry moths will chase each other in territorial clashes but are much more aggressive with Hummingbird moths, often making physical contact.

Next time you think you've seen a hummingbird or a bee at a flower, take a closer look!







7 comments:

  1. Good post and wonderful pictures. We have hummingbird moths here in the UK, but sadly I've never seen any. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Flighty. Oh, I hope you will get to see one someday soon. I noticed that all of these (plus lots of butterflies) were attracted to a flower called Butterfly-bush (Buddleja davidii). If it is available to you, maybe you could plant some (or maybe you have already).

      Delete
    2. Buddleja is a common plant here, and a nearby plot has one. As you say they certainly attract butterflies. xx

      Delete
  2. Many moths are prettier than some butterflies, these are especially nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you messymimi. I actually wrote a poem recently about moths (I think they are under-appreciated).

      MOTHS

      The languid flight
      in summer night
      of a graceful moth.

      Its patterned wings –
      exquisite things -
      soft like velvet cloth.

      No need for flash
      or dazzling hue -
      subtle panache
      bewitches too.

      Delete
  3. Had I seen these specimens I would never have thought they were moths. Poor moths... they are underappreciated. I love your poem Doris!

    ReplyDelete