Sunday, July 23, 2023

Playful young Cooper's Hawks

 


As in previous years, a pair of Cooper's Hawks raised a family in a nearby cemetery.  The nest was not well situated to get shots of the nestlings but as soon as the four young hawks were flying about, they have been giving me many photographic opportunities – especially when on the ground and being playful.

I have been entertained by their antics: running around a small tree and "ambushing" each other; throwing leaves up in the air to pounce on; sneaking up and pulling each others' tails; etc.  I was lucky enough to get a two minute video of the four of them playing around a small tree.  

You can watch it here:  young hawks playing

Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. Kids of any kind like to play. Will they be gone soon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forget at what point previous young hawks departed but I think they will have dispersed by the end of August.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful. Lucky you seeing four youngsters like this. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun! Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it messymimi. I like to replay it and laugh at their antics. :-)

      Delete