Sunday, January 1, 2023

When I Was Small

When I was small and just a child

I wandered 'long these grassy trails –

Observed the milkweed and mullein

And saw life's tiniest details.


It seemed that then the plants and I

Were almost equal in our size –

And this afforded me a view

Of monarch eggs and damselflies.


And now so many years have passed

Since once I wandered through this grass.


My height is more a hindrance now

And eyes – less keen – preclude the sight

Of all the tiny precious life

That once provided great delight.


When eyes and mind are of a child,

They are more kindly blessed

Than present eyes – set high but dulled –

And mind worn down by stress.


Have years made wise the thoughts that pass

As now I wander through this grass?


Cannot as deep a truth be known

From contemplation of a stone

At a mountain's base


Than from ascending t'wards the sky

To such exalted view on high

Of grandeur and of space?


1999

(From the book Discoveries In The Dark by Doris Potter)

© Doris Potter

6 comments:

  1. When she was young and still interested in life, D would use my camera and take photos from a perspective that was’t mine to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope one doesn't lose an interest in life as one ages. Just changes perspective.

      Delete
  2. Truth, couched in beautiful words.

    ReplyDelete