Saturday, July 30, 2022

Raising Anchor

 

I've been stuck in this harbour on an old boat

I'm going nowhere – I'm just staying afloat

I've got to raise anchor

I've got to get out.


I've been stuck in this harbour for far too long

Staying in limbo as though nothing's wrong

I've got to raise anchor

I've got to move on.


You're railing against what you thought that I wrote

And making false claims with an unfounded quote

It's sad that we're ending

On this angry note.


I've let you reside in my mind for too long

Your words ricochet like a tired, old song

I'm now raising anchor

I'm now moving on.


April 2019


(from the book Discoveries In The Dark by Doris Potter)

© Doris Potter

6 comments:

  1. I like it. I don’t remember it, but I like it. I guess when I reads a few at a time and then not for awhile, I forget. The reminders are good though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anvilcloud. Interestingly, I forget some of my poems too and someone will comment to me about one and then I feel foolish.

      Delete
  2. I like it too, it has a nice flow to it. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Flighty. I actually sing this poem. There are a few that I have melodies for and this is one of them.

      Delete
  3. It's a breath of fresh air, i can feel the weight of the anchor lifting in the words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks messymimi. I re-read it with your comment in mind and I see what you mean. :-)

      Delete