Friday, May 27, 2022

Ice Halo

 


This ice halo, encircling the sun, was observed yesterday while I was walking in St-Laurent looking for migratory birds.

Just a quick note on how ice halos come to be:

Ice halos are caused by both refraction, or splitting of light, and also reflection, or glints of light from ice crystals typically suspended in cirrus or cirrostratus clouds.  The crystals have to be oriented and positioned just so, in order for the halo to appear.  They can appear around the sun or the moon.

Here is another photo of this atmospheric phenomenon:







7 comments:

  1. Interesting, and good pictures. I've never seen one. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Flighty. I hope you do see one someday.

      Delete
  2. What an interesting phenomenon! I hope I get to see this one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Didee. I hope you do too. I have an advantage because I am often looking up for birds!

    ReplyDelete