Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Fire Rainbow




On June 10, 2018 near South Lancaster, Ontario in a conservation area called Cooper Marsh, my cousin Blain and I were treated to a rare and very beautiful atmospheric phenomenon called a fire rainbow.

After researching it on the Internet we learned that certain conditions need to be met for the formation of fire rainbows. 

These conditions are as follows:  the sun must be more than 58° above the horizon; cirrus clouds need to be present; and the hexagonal ice crystals in those clouds must be shaped like thick plates with their faces parallel to the ground.

Here is a picture that Blain took of me photographing the amazing sight!




The following shots are a selection of many that I took that day.  
(Note: colours have not been adjusted but the images have been slightly darkened to compensate for over-exposure).















I have made two other blog postings of atmospheric phenomena (iridescent clouds and ice halos).  They can be found by clicking on the following links:



8 comments:

  1. Wow! That is so beautiful and unusual, thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it messymimi. I was amazed by it too!

      Delete
  2. Wow! You two must have been so excited to see this phenomenon. It is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Didee. We were running back and forth taking picture after picture!!

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful sight, and lucky you getting to see, and photograph, it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a treat for you and now us! I have never seen anything like it. I especially like the first image and the second and fourth ons from the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with your choices Anvilcloud. I like the wispy clouds where it looks like flames.

      Delete