Sunday, February 20, 2011

The crow


I saw many crows today on Mount Royal. They were uncharacteristically quiet. However they reminded me of a poem I wrote a few years ago.

In case the print is too small on the photo below to be legible, here it is:

THE CROW

I walk along the wind-blown path
With leaves strewn at my feet -
The trees are bent from nature’s wrath
There’s someone I must meet.

And as the thought comes to my mind
A windsong brings a crow
Which ‘lights upon a branch and I’m
To learn what I must know.

“It’s time,” she says, “for you to fly
You’ve been given many a feather.
Try out your wings and touch the sky
You’ve long lost any tether.

Leave all the sorrows of long past days
Rush now, the future’s calling.
All wounds have healed, now turn your gaze
There is no risk of falling.

Remember that it’s me the crow
Who’s helped you find your wings.
I’m there when soft or strong winds blow
No matter what life brings.”



13 comments:

  1. Nicely done. I love crows.. they're so intelligent. Beautiful photo and poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That poem and its insight are something to crow about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that! I see crows most days, and they're great to watch flying. Flighty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for your lovely comment Hilary.
    AC - thank you and your play on words is as clever as a crow!
    Flighty - thanks and keep crow watching. Especially if they start loud calling - it usually means you'll see a raptor or a fox!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favourite bird! The message in your poem touches me deeply and is something I need to be reminded of frequently.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the poem. In fact, I dreamed of two Native Americans who came to me and showed me a poem. They wanted me to find and share it. I have and so I wish to express my appreciation. The poem can touch people on a deep level, perhaps bring healing to some. Peace, Doris!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for leaving this comment Lance. It makes me happy to know that this poem touches other people. Peace to you as well. :-)

      Delete
  7. Doris, Thank you so much for permission to use a portion of this poem for fund raising and for becoming part of the For Heaven's Sake Wild Animal & Rehabilitation family. Your generosity is most appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy to do it Mary and thanks for leaving this comment. I urge people to visit the site of For Heaven's Sake Wild Animal & Rehabilitation at: http://www.fhswildliferehab.org/index.html

      Delete