Monday, August 27, 2018

A Great Blue and a Great White

On a recent trip to a nearby marsh I suddenly spotted a Great Blue Heron and a Great Egret (sometimes referred to as a Great White Egret) standing in a tree together. 

Their close proximity and almost identical pose struck me, as did the fact that they stood side by side for several minutes.  Then, at the identical moment, they took off and flew in unison across the marsh to another shared tree.  

I felt they shared a kinship greater than that determined by their genetics ... perhaps a friendship. 

Perhaps I am being fanciful ...









10 comments:

  1. Fanciful? Perhaps. But I believe one species can and often bonds with a different albeit similar species. Great photos Doris!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Didee. I think you are right about species.

      Delete
  2. Perhaps they help each other look for fish, who knows? Love the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A nice encounter for you. As for egrets, I've seen a few, but then again too few to mention.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful pictures. Lucky you seeing the two birds together like that. xx

    ReplyDelete