Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Success!

Well, my avocados ripened and the "unholy guacamole" was a success!  I think I need to tweak things a little though - like try to perfect my mixing technique and get a spicier salsa - but all in all I was happy. :-)

I actually decided to try another recipe!  This one is called "Potatoes in Paradise" and involves cubing a cooked potato, dicing an avocado (as long as it is ripe like your nose), and wrapping this mixture plus some shredded lettuce into a tortilla.  Maybe someone can explain the difference between cubing and dicing?!  Anyway, it worked out quite well even though I substituted "broccoli slaw" for the shredded lettuce.  I enjoyed it immensely and will make it again.

However, my next venture will be to make a fruit smoothie using soy milk, strawberries and banana.  Having just purchased a mini-blender for the purpose, it will be another first!

If you know me, you will know that food preparation is something I view with horror so this turn of events is quite extraordinary.  Of course, since I am now becoming much more vegan in my food choices (and restaurants have not caught on to this lifestyle as much as I would like), eating in becomes more of a necessity.

6 comments:

  1. Well done, and good luck with your next venture! Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Flighty. I'm sure if I had any of your home-grown vegetables I'd get hooked on cooking for sure!

      Delete
  2. Avocado stuff is not my fave. I don't know if I am simply put off by the colour, but I think it's more than that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diane (my sister) is not a fan of avocado either. I just happened to open my book on two avocado recipes and discover that I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not only am I not a fan of avocados they are one of just two things that I would rather starve than eat... the other is coconut. :-)

    Hmm....when am I going to be invited over for supper? I do live 6 hours away by car so please make it worth my while. I do love broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, spinach, peas, potatoes, beans, nuts, tomatoes, etc. etc......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Didee (aka Diane): Well, I think I will have to do a lot of practicing before I could have you over for supper. I will never be able to compete with your expertise in the kitchen!

      Delete