Thursday, January 14, 2010

Cats of course

Already at my fourth posting and I haven't mentioned cats yet. What is wrong with me?!

I received a tiny book called "Cat Quips" for Christmas from a lovely friend named Erica and there are two quotes which resonated with me:

I put down my book
"The Meaning of Zen"
and see the cat smiling into her fur
as she delicately combs it with her rough
pink tongue.

"Cat, I would lend you this book to study
but it appears that you have already read it."

She looks up and gives me her full gaze.
"Don't be ridiculous," she purrs. "I wrote it."

Dilys Laing, "Miao"

and

What, I sometimes ask,
will they think of to ruin next?
Why do they always pick on
something that might one day,
if they hadn't mucked it up, have
been valuable? Why on earth, with
all the experience we've had, do we
go on having Siamese cats? Then
I see Sass's blue eyes looking up at
me out of that anxious, pointed face
- and I pick him up and hug him.
That is my answer.

Doreen Tovey, from "A Comfort of Cats"



My beautiful cat Shanna

1 comment:

  1. She is beautiful. The girls in Vancouver now have two Siamese cats that they are quite potty over.

    ReplyDelete